Saturday, October 24, 2009

THE GREEN VOTE

I'm one of the many victims of Ondoy. I live in a middleclass subdivision along Marcos Highway. I'm one of those you can consider to be environmentally-conscious. I read a lot about climate change and I share the global fear of the kind of devastation global warming could do to us. I advocate climate change not because it is the current advocacy vogue. I believe it, but still there's a part about the "threat" that remains as mythical as the powers of the green lantern.
But on that fateful morning, I saw the face of climate change.
A virtual river of water flowed in the inner roads of the subdivision, dragging with its full powers anything on its way: from the big clay vases of our rich neighbor's landscaped lawns to cars parked on the street. When the water receded and as I began the ardous task of cleaning the house, I saw that the waters brought with it what I'm certain of are soil from the mountains.
The face of climate change has finally been revealed to me.
Right there and there, I promised to myself, at this juncture in the Pinoy's political life, I will search and campaign for a candidate with a clear advocacy of the environment.
Thus, this blog I now call "THE GREEN VOTE."

No comments:

Post a Comment